• How do I register for Wine Equalisation Tax (WET)?

    You can register for WET online through Business Portal mail

    • Under the mail heading in the menu, select 'New Message', then 'Registrations'
    • select 'WET, fuel tax credit, LCT registration' then ‘next’
    • in the message text include the following:
      • type of registration you are applying for – 'wine equalisation tax'
      • the date you want registration to take effect
      • the date you did, or will, become involved in manufacturing, wholesaling, importing or exporting alcoholic beverages
      • the percentage of your total turnover each of these represent - wine, beer, spirits, and other alcoholic beverages
      • a description of your activity in the alcoholic beverages industry (for example, manufacturer, wholesaler, importer, exporter, indirect marketer, retailer)
    • select ‘next’, then ‘send’. You will receive a receipt number and confirmation that your message has been sent.


Relying on our information - our commitment to you

We are committed to providing you with advice and guidance you can rely on, so we make every effort to ensure that what we give you is correct.

If you follow our advice or guidance and it turns out to be incorrect, or it is misleading and you make a mistake as a result, we will take that into account when determining what action, if any, we should take.

Some of the advice and guidance on this website applies to a specific financial year. This is clearly marked. Make sure you have the information for the right year before making decisions based on that information.

If you feel that our advice and guidance does not fully cover your circumstances, or you are unsure how it applies to you, contact us or seek professional advice.


© Australian Taxation Office for the Commonwealth of Australia

You are free to copy, adapt, modify, transmit and distribute this material as you wish (but not in any way that suggests the ATO or the Commonwealth endorses you or any of your services or products).